For babies, diaper rashes are a common skin problem. They may result in the development of red spots and scales in the genital area or at the child’s bottom.
It may be caused due to several factors that we’ll discuss later.
So, how do we treat them? Can baby rash be treated at home with cold pressed coconut oil, or is it a myth?
Let’s check it out with this article.
Common Causes of Diaper Rash
One of the leading causes of diaper rash is moisture & friction. It happens when the urine & faeces sit against the diaper area, causing the skin to become red and irritated.
However, several other factors contribute to diaper rashes, and these include:
- Diapers rubbing, chafing, and irritation.
- Allergic reaction to laundry detergent, bubble baths, wipes, and other products that touch your child’s skin.
- Reaction to antibiotics
- The allergic reaction through newly introduced foods.
Treat Diaper Rash at Home – Best Ways
If you want to treat the diaper rash of your baby at home, try these tips that we’ve discussed below:
- Keep Clean & Dry – Maintaining a dry and clean diaper for your infant is the most crucial thing you can do to avoid and manage a rash. When changing the diaper, wipe the area down gently with a soft cloth or squirt of water from a bottle. Avoid using alcohol-containing wipes and overly rubbing the skin.
- Change Diaper Frequently – Your baby should get a diaper change as soon as it gets dirty. A rash can be brought on by even a small amount of moisture that has been trapped on the skin. Therefore, you should change your child’s diaper as soon as it gets even slightly wet, especially if the diaper rash is still active.
- Switch to Disposal Diapers – Although cloth diapers offer many advantages, they shouldn’t be used if your child develops a diaper rash. It is recommended to switch to disposable diapers that are incredibly absorbent while the diaper rash heals. Your baby will stay dry with their assistance, and it will also hasten the healing process.
- Apply natural Oil – One of the best ways to treat diaper rash naturally is by using natural oil like coconut oil. The moisturising nature of coconut oil penetrates the skin, preventing excessive dryness, and it also contains lauric acid, which counteracts yeast infection.
- Avoid These Products – Preventing & treating diaper rash can be very easy when you avoid using highly fragranced products. You must also refrain from using baby powder on your baby as they can inhale it, which can harm the lungs.
What Kind of Coconut Oil is Best for Diaper Rash?
There are dozens of options of coconut oil in the market, claiming each one to be the best. You must ensure to use only pure and unrefined coconut oil, which is free from chemicals.
For this, you can use Little Rituals’ natural cold pressed coconut oil that is free from chemicals. The oil is completely safe for babies as it is made from plant actives and is purely organic.
However, if the problems persist for long, it’s best to consult a doctor.